Good price for insurance

Jan 10, 2019 at 05:22 PM CST
I am a 1 truck owner operator. I have to have 1,000,000 liability, 50,000 cargo and I have a truck and trailer worth about 100k total.. curious what everyone else is paying. I am paying about 15,000 and feel like I’m getting the shaft. Also I have decent credit & maybe 1 ticket& have been in business for 10 yrs
Replied on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 07:08 AM CST
I am with Sausman insurance agency and national casualty holds the policy 1,000,000 liability 30k cargo 110k for truck and 2 trailers I pay 9,200 a year been dot 3 times never paid a ticket in my life. single driver owner operator
Replied on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 07:08 AM CST
I started last year. New dot number. 1000000, 30000 cargo. 100000 worth of truck and trailer. Never had a ticket in my life. Last year's premium was 14000 dollars. Priced everywhere. That was with progressive. They were the only company that would insure me and not drop coverage immediately if I hire a driver, buy a truck, or go to a different state than I originally listed when signing up.
Replied on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 09:30 AM CST
If you can get away from progressive you would be better off. i have heard numerous reports of people getting progressively shafted. they seem to be the last resort company for people that drive too fast
Replied on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 09:48 AM CST
Progressive is complicated. Won't cover my extra trailer if someone rents it. Will not cover another companies trailer if I hook up to theirs. Absolutely will not cover a load of livestock. They tell me it's all easier and cheaper once a dot number is two years old and violation free....
Replied on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:53 AM CST

Hey Guys and Gals welcome to the new world of insurance. I have been in the trucking business for 44 years and have seen insurance go from 2,500 in 1975 to my last year rate of 8,500. that is for 1,000,000 csl, 70,000 PYDG on the truck and 30,000 on the trailer with a local radius of 300 miles. Here's the deal in 1978 my dad turned over the trucking to me and opened a commercial auto insurance company. I kept my truck side and in 1990 got my Insurance licence. when dad passed away I kept the insurance business. The insurance companies in 1974 told us we would see 10,000 policies with more restrictions, well all of us today we have seen that came true.

I write for most of the markets but fact is all the companies are owned by about 3 large insurance corporations. ie. Scottsdale is owned by National Casualty and Progressive is owned by Nationwide just for an example.

I am not claiming to be the save all for truckers insurance because I pay through the nose too. However, if you would like a price from a different place please feel free to call and leave a message about 3 weeks before you come due. I will help if I can. Remember I run a truck like you as well. so I can be tought to get ahold of.

Charlie Wayne Transportation

P.O. Box 1168

Tracy, CA 95378

209-832-0376

[email protected]

A division of the Kachinas Corp.

Charlie Wayne

AIS All Insurance Service

P.O. Box 1168

Tracy, CA 95376

Ph. (209)-832-0376 Fax (866) 418-2493

Email [email protected]

Lic# 0E81346

A Division Of The Kachinas Corp.

Replied on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:00 AM CST
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "I started last year. New dot number. 1000000, 30000 cargo. 100000 worth of truck and trailer. Never had a ticket in my life. Last year's premium was 14000 dollars. Priced everywhere. That was with progressive. They were the only company that would insure me and not drop coverage immediately if I hire a driver, buy a truck, or go to a different state than I originally listed when signing up."

Dale, have basically the same coverage as you 1000.00 deductable at 4800.00 a year
Replied on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 04:59 PM CST
Originally Posted by: GLENN SELLHORST
Quote: "Dale, have basically the same coverage as you 1000.00 deductable at 4800.00 a year"

??????????????
Replied on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 04:59 PM CST
Originally Posted by: GLENN SELLHORST
Quote: "Dale, have basically the same coverage as you 1000.00 deductable at 4800.00 a year"

I was told that after the end of my 2nd year my premium would be in the ballpark of 4-5k like yours. I hope so.
Replied on Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 06:29 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "I was told that after the end of my 2nd year my premium would be in the ballpark of 4-5k like yours. I hope so. "

thats a joke. i started 6 yr ago paying 8k with no experience. now i have more equipment and still squeaky clean record And pay 9200 . anymore if your under 10k a year consider yourself lucky i have heard much worse
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 07:27 AM CST
hell haven't used mine since I bought the first truck 13 years ago and it goes up 50-100$ a year through ooida
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 07:27 AM CST
1,000,000 , 100,000 cargo, 80,000 truck and 5,000 deductable. 4,450 a year.
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 07:27 AM CST
OTR insurance is 10 K plus...local insurance is half that.
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 07:27 AM CST
We have ours through progressive. 1,000,000 liability and 100,000 cargo insurance, $1000 deductible, 500 mile radius. We have 2 drivers, my dad and I. 2 Trucks, 2015 389 and a 2019 579 also have 2017 hyundai dry van, 2004 Utility Dry van, 2001 Trailmobile dry van, 2015 50' Timpte, 2013 50' timpte and a 2008 wilson 46' high sided hopper. Under $10,000 a year. I am 36 and dad is 62. No accidents or tickets. Had a guy hit me at the docks last year and he had Progressive and had to have the front end of a 379 put on, no problems at all. Took it to our peterbilt location and they fixed everything on a Friday and Saturday. Whatever they said needed replaced, we replaced it and Progressive paid it and no issues whatsoever.
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 07:27 AM CST
I can hook you up with a good insurance guy . I started the same way and had to get a huge policy and he was by far the cheapest and best . He has a lot of truck markets. Let me know if your interested
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 08:38 AM CST
The prices I stated for my insurance are for over the road. I haul Wi. Mn. Il oversize to pacific northwest.
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 09:42 AM CST
Hello
My husband and I have two trucks and live in Red Oak. Can you please send me the number to your insurance contact? Greatly appreciated.
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM CST
Great West out of Sioux Falls SD.
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM CST
I sent the previous post inquiring about the insurance contact. I can be reached via email at [email protected] Thanks
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM CST

Call Nate at overland Insurance perem minnesota. Saved me 600 on two trailers one tractor. Preminum now 680 month

Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 03:12 PM CST
Originally Posted by: JON LINGO
Quote: "Great West out of Sioux Falls SD."

Most of the experienced owner ops in my area use great West and speak highly of them. But they told me that they can't insure a new company if they are growing, meaning buying a truck or two and hiring drivers
Replied on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 03:12 PM CST
Originally Posted by: CHARLIE WAYNE
Quote: "Hey Guys and Gals welcome to the new world of insurance. I have been in the trucking business for 44 years and have seen insurance go from 2,500 in 1975 to my last year rate of 8,500. that is for 1,000,000 csl, 70,000 PYDG on the truck and 30,000 on the trailer with a local radius of 300 miles. Here's the deal in 1978 my dad turned over the trucking to me and opened a commercial auto insurance company. I kept my truck side and in 1990 got my Insurance licence. when dad passed away I kept the insurance business. The insurance companies in 1974 told us we would see 10,000 policies with more restrictions, well all of us today we have seen that came true. I write for most of the markets but fact is all the companies are owned by about 3 large insurance corporations. ie. Scottsdale is owned by National Casualty and Progressive is owned by Nationwide just for an example. I am not claiming to be the save all for truckers insurance because I pay through the nose too. However, if you would like a price from a different place please feel free to call and leave a message about 3 weeks before you come due. I will help if I can. Remember I run a truck like you as well. so I can be tought to get ahold of. Charlie Wayne Transportation P.O. Box 1168 Tracy, CA 95378 209-832-0376 [email protected] A division of the Kachinas Corp. Charlie Wayne AIS All Insurance Service P.O. Box 1168 Tracy, CA 95376 Ph. (209)-832-0376 Fax (866) 418-2493 Email [email protected] Lic# 0E81346 A Division Of The Kachinas Corp. "

I guess I should have been more specific. Those are good prices however they are all out of states with betters rates. I write insurance in California, enough said. Also, I speicialise in dump operations 1 to 5 units. sorry for the confusion. for the rest of you keep grabing those good rates as long as you can.

Charlie Wayne

Replied on Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 07:14 AM CST
This question is much to complex to be fully addressed in this forum. Our firm has specialized in transportation insurance for 35+ years. And the only consistent piece is change. I personally only focus on large fleet business being fleets over 100 units. That being said Taylor Parker in my office handles the under 10 fleets [email protected]
A few questions to ask beyond price, A) what city/ state are you in? There are specific jurisdictions where plaintiff attorneys have made insurance very expensive. B) deductibles, in the event of a accident do you pay $1,000 for truck/trailer/Cargo totaling $3,000 or do you have a basket deductible totaling $1,000 for all threee C) year of equipment really matter, if you hit a deer in a 2000’ 379 Pete you can buy a replacement bumper for $500 bucks and get rolling you hit the same deer in a 2019’ you have messed up the entire hood and wiring, D) how about towing, in a accident do you have a limit or a $10,000 limit? What about mechanical break down do you have any towing for that?
The reality is I could keep going but you get the point. Ask questions, what are you buying? It’s not just Price. Just my two cents but I hope this helps.
Taylor Parker (913) 319-3415 would be glad to answer any questions.